Sunday, April 12, 2015

March 31, 2015 (Tuesday)

Time: 10am-12pm; 2pm-4pm (4)
Hours completed (IST): 106/135
Hours completed (Kara Robinson): 15/15
Accumulated on-site hours: 121/150

 For the first part of the day today I spent some time looking at the ready reference materials to see if there was anything useful that I missed the previous night. I also showed Tammy the lists that I had prepared and she thought they would be good for the students to have so she asked me to make copies to hand out. Tammy also showed me the handout that she created for the day and suggested that we co-teach. She also explained that we would have less time than we originally though as the professor needed to speak to her students for the first fifteen minutes or so.

I was given the choice of what I wanted to discuss with the class and in the end, after choosing what we should and should not show based on the time change, the session broke down to Tammy and I trading off every other section.

The session itself, given the time constraints and the amount of information that needed to be covered, was pretty hectic. Tammy and I did a good job of segueing back and forth to each other. More than once as one of us was finishing up or answering a question the other would be at the laptop bringing up the next site on the list. I tried to make the session fun for the students by tossing in some jokes about how fast we were talking.

"I know we're going pretty fast. Are there any questions," I asked at one point. Everybody shook their head. "Is everybody keeping up okay," I continued, "raise your hand if you need us to slow down." One student raised her hand. "I'm sorry but that is not a majority so I guess we may as well go faster," I responded which made the students laugh. I did, however, try and slow up a little bit and also reminded the class that we'd be happy to answer any questions at the end.

For my part, I spent a lot of time explaining how the different resources we provided for them could be used in concert to find the most information about a given topic, person, etc.

We managed to speak about everything that we wanted except for possibly reviewing the Discovery Layer, which wasn't that necessary in most likelihood.

I felt like I stumbled a bit and the time crunch made the session very difficult, but Tammy felt that everything went well. The professor asked if we could return once more to speak with her class again to discuss research and using sources. I'll probably begin prepping for that soon.

Tammy designed this handout for the class by adding many of the items that I had previously found and combining it with some more general library information. She said that she feels it's important to add pictures to the handouts, and I think I agree. If anything, it makes them more inviting and professional-looking:






























No comments:

Post a Comment