Thursday, April 9, 2015

March 2, 2015 (Monday)

Time: 2pm-3:30pm (1.5)
Hours completed (IST): 56.5/135
Hours completed (Kara Robinson): 15/15
Accumulated on-site hours: 71.5/150

Today I met with my supervisor to go over the schedule for the week. We also discussed some of the difficulties of instruction services work with a few other members of the team. Tammy tapped me to do the introduction for a BI on March 5. I will be covering all the material and then she will step in to conduct the searches in Discovery and any subject-specific databases. She gave me suggestions on how and what to prepare. Tammy suggested that I prepare a book to use as an example of how to search and understand the records in KentLINK and OhioLINK.

While speaking with other team members they continually made comment of the importance of time management and organization. From preparation to the classroom it is important to be efficient with your time because the truth is that there is never enough of it. While time management is helped greatly by organization, it is also important to be organized as BIs are scheduled from hours-to-months in advance. This is on top of whatever other responsibilities, duties, and projects are occurring at any given moment. I have a meeting scheduled on Thursday with a SLIS professor to discuss teaching and research in academic libraries, I'll be sure to ask her take on the conversation that I had today.

No comments:

Post a Comment