Monday, January 19, 2015

January 13, 2015 (Tuesday)

Time: 10am-11am
Hours completed (total): 2.5/135
Hours completed (Kara Robinson): 1.5/15
Accumulated on-site hours: 2.5/150

I had a meeting with Tammy Eschedor Voelker, my on-site supervisor, and Feng-Ru Sheu, whom I will be assisting with a project during the my CE. The purpose of this meeting was to expand on some of the ideas that were talk about when setting up this practicum as well as to give me an introduction to the types of experience and projects I will likely have. One of the first matters of business, aside from introductions and pleasantries, was to be invited to attend the weekly department meeting (beginning 1/20/2015) as well as scheduling weekly meetings with Tammy (beginning 1/26/2015). The purpose of the meetings with Tammy is to discuss and assess what I had done the previous week, and also to plan which directions or assignments I may want to focus on.

Tammy reiterated that I would be "bouncing around" to many different librarians in Instruction Services because different departments operate with with library in unique ways. Further, she reminded me that I had the option to work both in traditional as well as online settings. I expressed my interest in doing both.

Tammy assigned me to familiarize myself with UL's Information Literacy Plan for Undergraduate Education as well as ACRL Framework that is currently under consideration.

Feng-Ru discussed five projects I may be able to assist with:
  1. A review of online skill modules
  2. Usability testing (sometime in March)
  3. Instructional material (possibly videos) for the nursing liaison librarian
  4. Developing a scavenger hunt for library instruction which will likely use a mobile app
  5. Development of a library website for international students
I discussed with them my idea of creating an Alternate Reality Game, based on the idea of a murder mystery, which both responded to positively. They encouraged me to read more on the subject and to feel free to approach with any ideas or questions, though this project will not be implemented during my CE.

No comments:

Post a Comment